While the Covid-19 pandemic has brought devastation to an unthinkable number of industries, this does not hold true to all. There are roughly 7.8 billion people in the world and about 26% of them are online shoppers (Sleeknote). As a result, e-commerce sales are expected to reach $4.2 trillion by the end of 2020 (Statista), and UPS announced earlier this year that it expects to hire over 100,000 seasonal employees [in the U.S. alone] to support the anticipated annual increase (UPS Pressroom).
Unfortunately, parallel to these numbers are staggering statistics regarding the number of motor vehicle injuries and fatalities reported each year. In fact, the Department of Transportation (DOT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that drug and alcohol impairment leaves 10% of all drivers involved in fatal crashes. Luckily, employers have a range of options to help protect their workers on the road.
5 Risk Reduction Measures to Consider Before You Hire
- Pre-Employment Background Checks. A thorough background check prior to hiring can save an organization an enormous amount of grief and expense down the road. In addition, completing background checks on potential candidates accelerates the recruiting process and dramatically improves the quality of information that is necessary to make well-informed hiring decisions. SureHire offers an easy, cost-effective solution to pre-employment background checks. The information we deliver is accurate, timely, and secure, accessible through our exclusive client portal. Contact us to learn more.
- Drug & Alcohol Testing. Drinking and driving is one of the main causes of road crashes worldwide. In high-income countries, about 20% of fatally injured drivers have excess alcohol in their blood, while in some low- and middle-income countries these figures may be up to 69% (UN Road Safety Collaboration). The implementation of pre-employment, pre-access, post-incident, and reasonable cause testing is a great mitigation tool to decrease the risk of substance abuse in the workplace. SureHire offers a range of drug & alcohol testing services. With an extensive network of facilities across North America, certified technicians, and same-day results notifications, we make it easy to be sure you’ve got the right hire for the job. Contact us to learn more.
- Mobile Occupational Testing. When getting your workers into a facility isn’t convenient, mobile testing can be a great solution, offering reduced downtime, fewer missed or delayed tests, reduced possibility of compromised tests, higher participation, reduced liability, and increased flexibility. SureHire’s mobile fleet provisions a range of occupational tests, including breath alcohol testing, oral fluid drug testing, audiometric screening, respirator fitting, temperature screening, and more. Contact us to learn more.
- Covid-19 Support Services. With cases continuing to rise across North America, employers must cope with enhanced restrictions, increased risk of transmission, and increased downtime. With no vaccines or treatments available, it is even more important to implement measures that help keep people safe, healthy, and productive. Temperature testing, screening questionnaires, and rapid antibody testing can help employers manage the risk of Covid-19 transmission among employees. SureHire offers a range of Covid-19 support services to support employers. Contact us to learn more.
- Education & Training. According to the National Safety Council (NSC), 43% of employees admit they may be too tired to function safely at work. In addition, collision with a vehicle in transport was the first harmful event (the first event during a crash that resulted in injury or property damage) in 73 percent of fatal crashes involving large trucks, 84 percent of injury crashes involving large trucks, and 76 percent of property damage only crashes involving large trucks (FMCSA). SureHire offers a range of education and training programs to support informed decision-making in the workplace. Contact us to learn more.
Before you set out to hire this holiday season, consider the risks, and be sure you’ve got the right hire for the job. Learn more about our services and work with us to keep our workforces and communities safe, healthy, and productive.